harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Xiao-Feng Li" <xiaofeng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][jit] New method in VM-JIT interface: check if vm helper is GC suspension point
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2007 00:58:13 GMT
> A silly question possibly. But other than inlined fastpaths, why not
> gcm treat all helper calls as interruptible?

I think this needs case by case study to decide which ones can be
interruptible. In most cases, the helper is only an extension of a
certain bytecode operation, which can be virtually treated as a
bytecode (or part of a bytecode semantics). Normally, the safepoint
can be before or after it, but not in middle of it. If we think of the
stack map info, the helper itself may not stand for a formal method
frame for GC or exception handling.

Thanks,
xiaofeng

--