harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Stepan Mishura" <stepan.mish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Managing dependencies: Antlib for Maven 2.0, Ivy or Ant only (i.e. Harmony specific way)?
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2007 08:10:37 GMT
On 4/4/07, Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> I'm using Maven in Yoko project... And I likes Ant more :) It looks
> more clear to me how Ant works.
> Probably the only reason for this is much larger experience with ant...
>
> Speaking about Harmony dependencies...
> One of the advantages of the current scheme is flexibility: we can
> download a dependency from anywhere, unpack it or use as is...
> With Maven we will be limited by Maven repositories. As far as I
> know... And moving a project to a new build system is also a big pane.
>
> So I vote for staying with Ant.

Sorry for not being clear. I don't propose to move to a new building
system such as Maven. The post was about using a set of Ant tasks[1]
provided by Maven to utilise its dependency manager. If we find that
we are not OK with limitation to Maven repositories only we may
consider using Ivy as alternative[2]. As far as I understood Ivy's
documentation it doesn't have such limitation. Sure we can continue
enhancing/supporting our set of ANT scripts and be independent from
any dependency manager tool. But taking into account growing needs of
build-and-test infra I feel that in the end we may create a tool that
will be very similar to existing tools.

[1] http://maven.apache.org/ant-tasks.html
[2] http://incubator.apache.org/ivy/index.html

Thanks,