harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Rana Dasgupta" <rdasg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] What platforms do we support?
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2007 20:30:30 GMT
Mikhail,
Do mean choose which library to load with LoadLibrary() dynamically at
startup? This can be done, but that still requires platform specific
libraries?
   For x64 and IA64 we have seperate platform specific binaries. For
x86 32, what would be platform specific between PIII, PIV, Centrino
etc. except the fence instructions which don't really need to exist
for any x86 processor( other than if SSE2 etc. is used ),
monitor/mwait that we don't use, and the SSE category of instructions
which  could be all generated by the jit based on platform? In other
words, what do we lose if all the static binaries are PIII compatible
and additional instruction types are only generated by the jit?

Thanks,
Rana