harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Rana Dasgupta" <rdasg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] What platforms do we support?
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2007 18:34:36 GMT
> Nathan Beyer wrote:
> > However, from looking back on this mailing list thread, I couldn't
> > find any decision at the end of this or much of a consensus. I would
> > like to pull this together, vote on it. document it (site, Wiki, etc),
> > test it, etc.
>
> Agreed, let's try and get a consensus on what we will have in our M1
> build, and a date to shoot for it.
>
> I think we have a reasonable idea forming that it will be (taken from
> your list):
>
>  - IA32/x86 with a minimum of P3 (SSE, not SSE2)
>  - IA64/IPF (Intel 64-bit architecture)
>  - x86_64/AMD64/EMT64 (AMD architecture)
>
>  - (Windows 2000 SP4?), Windows XP SP2, Windows 2003,
>   Windows 2003 R2, (Windows Vista?)
>  - Linux; kernel v2.4.x, v2.6.x
>  - (FreeBSD v???)
>
> I've put some in parentheses since we need to hear from people what work
> is required to get them ready and stable.  I also removed the priority
> order since I think they are all equally important if we declare them
> stable.
>
> An M1 date of April 30th would give us a stable build ready for
> ApacheCon EU and JavaOne, which seems like a good goal.  Working
> backwards we would then focus on stability for whatever we have got from
> April 23.
>
> I wonder if the Win2000 goal is possible in that timeframe?  If not I
> suggest we live with WinXP as a minimum requirement for M1.

This sounds like a good idea. I also don't know if anyone is testing
on Vista. If we want to target April 30, would it make sense to have a
small set of platforms and focus on stability and reasonably good
performance ...say x86-32 bit on XP SP2 and W2003 R2 ( where we are
most stable, but still have threading issues ) and Linux kernel
version 2.6( only if achievable )? We can always add platforms with
future releases.