harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew Zhang" <zhanghuang...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][luni] new test in tests.api.java.net.SocketTest failed on my Windows XP sp2
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2007 08:08:16 GMT

> Personally I prefer Support_PortManager. As a tool, it can rescue us from
> choosing specific port to use. Despite of its defect, I believe it is
> possible to innovate it to fullfill our demand. From my experience, it
> works
> well on windows but has some problem on linux.
>
> Furthermore, if we would like to use a specific port but not predefined at
> compile time, as the case of Ruth, maybe we can adopt a method of ad-hoc,
> that is to try a specific port, if it is occupied, try another till it
> works.

I think at most we need a utility method:
ServerSocket NetworkUtil.startServerSocket() {
 return new ServerSocket(0);
}
Why do we need to:
1. open a server socket on free port
2. get the server socket port
3. close it
4. pass the port to the test case
5. the test case opens a server socket on this port
Isn't it the same as:
The test case opens a server socket on free port? Or did I missing
something?

On 4/19/07, Ruth Cao <ruoshen.c@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Tim Ellison wrote:

> pass
> > >>

> > > Please don't use the PortManager, just open port 0 and let the OS
> > > allocate a free port.  There are examples in the existing tests.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Tim
> > >

> > Yes, I agree that we should use port 0 in almost all the test cases.
> > However, it seems that this test case is a little bit special. It
> > requires to initialize a ServerSocket to connect 0.0.0.0 after
> > connecting localhost successfully.  If we use port 0 and 0.0.0.0 at the
> > same time, the ServerSocket constructed will be invalid.
> >
> > Thus, shall we assign a rarely-used port (e.g. 50000), or continue using
> > Support_PortManager? Any ideas? Suggestions?
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ruth Cao
> > China Software Development Lab, IBM