harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Linux libstdc++.so.5 dependency
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2007 09:50:34 GMT
Egor Pasko wrote:
> On the 0x2C0 day of Apache Harmony Tim Ellison wrote:
>> Gregory Shimansky wrote:
>>> To get rid of this dependency ICU could be linked with libstdc++
>>> statically.
>> Couldn't we also link in a reference to the library unversioned, and
>> pick up whatever the ldconfig has defined?
>
> 1. they are not compatible

Too bad.

> 2. not only libICU uses libstdc++, DRLVM uses libstdc++-X too, where X
>    is 5 or 6, and the actual number depends on the GCC version, that
>    built DRLVM
>
> 3. to compile libstdc++ statically for non-x86 (for example, x86_64)
>    we need to compile libstdc++-X.a with -fPIC option by hand (because
>    it is a very rare configuration)
>
> IMHO, the best way is to go (3) for snapshots and releases to make our
> binaries independant of library version on the target system. But for
> development needs the easiest way is to install both libstdc++-5 and
> libstdc++-6.

I'm not sure that carrying around more and more of the system code with
us is the right answer -- even if the license does allow it (i.e. can we
redistribute that code from Apache's servers?).

If we are looking for more work we can produce different packages for
different distributions already.  Otherwise we may have to pick one
version, probably the most popular on developers' machines being version
6(?), and list that as a pre-requisite for our snapshots.  If people
want to use the other version they will have to recompile.

Regards,
Tim