harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][testcase] should weakreference be queued in runFinalization()?
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2007 15:53:23 GMT
The other way I can think of to force a gc, and thus hopefully have the
weak reference cleared, is to do the following:
 - restrict heap size to a very small amount when launching the VM.
 - create WeakReference object and its referent.
 - fill heap with dummy objects until OutOfMemory is achieved (at which
point you should be able to assume that at least one gc has occured, as
it is unlikely that the memory manager will not have gc'ed at all before
giving OOM).
 - free up dummy objects and check WeakReference.

IMO it's a pretty ugly way to test this, but perhaps it's the only way
to make sure that a gc really does occur.

Regards,
Oliver