harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] What platforms do we support?
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2007 17:36:20 GMT
Nathan Beyer wrote:
> However, from looking back on this mailing list thread, I couldn't
> find any decision at the end of this or much of a consensus. I would
> like to pull this together, vote on it. document it (site, Wiki, etc),
> test it, etc.

Agreed, let's try and get a consensus on what we will have in our M1
build, and a date to shoot for it.

I think we have a reasonable idea forming that it will be (taken from
your list):

 - IA32/x86 with a minimum of P3 (SSE, not SSE2)
 - IA64/IPF (Intel 64-bit architecture)
 - x86_64/AMD64/EMT64 (AMD architecture)

 - (Windows 2000 SP4?), Windows XP SP2, Windows 2003,
   Windows 2003 R2, (Windows Vista?)
 - Linux; kernel v2.4.x, v2.6.x
 - (FreeBSD v???)

I've put some in parentheses since we need to hear from people what work
is required to get them ready and stable.  I also removed the priority
order since I think they are all equally important if we declare them
stable.

An M1 date of April 30th would give us a stable build ready for
ApacheCon EU and JavaOne, which seems like a good goal.  Working
backwards we would then focus on stability for whatever we have got from
April 23.

I wonder if the Win2000 goal is possible in that timeframe?  If not I
suggest we live with WinXP as a minimum requirement for M1.  Do we know
what it takes to run on Vista/FreeBSD?  Again I'm guessing non-trivial
work remaining and we should drop it from M1 if so.

Regards,
Tim