harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Beyer" <ndbe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [build-and-test] Update: plan for improving of the new testing infra before switching to it.
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2007 11:46:12 GMT
I would just suggest tagging the trunk (make a copy of trunk with a
well-defined name in the  tags folder), and do whatever you want to do
with the trunk, it's supposed to be the current development line. In
addition, I would suggest, adjusting the published docs to point to
this tag to check out the infrastructure. However, if there's any plan
on continued maintenance, then create a branch, tag off that, point
the docs to check out the tag.

If we're not very sure about this "2.0" code, then I would create a
branch for it "2.0-dev", then once it's ready, tag the trunk as 1.0
and then merge(replace?) the 2.0 code into the trunk. This is exactly
what 'branches' sub-folders are for, maintenance and disruptive (to
the trunk) current development.

It seems silly to create a pseudo-branch under the trunk folder, as
the whole point of the branches/tags/trunk folder is for working like
this. If we don't want to work like that, then dump the whole
convention.

Let's stop avoiding good SCM practices and embrace them. In the case
of buildtest, just work with the caveat that "releases" are directly
checked out, instead of downloaded from an alternate location.

-Nathan