harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Beyer" <ndbe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Linux libstdc++.so.5 dependency
Date Sun, 22 Apr 2007 18:04:52 GMT
There's a comment about this in the classlib README, that I just
found. It seems this is a dependency from the ICU 3.4 libraries.
There's been off an on talk about upgrading to the latest ICU release.
Maybe it has upgraded its dependencies.

[1] https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk/README.txt?view=markup

Linux users may need to install an appropriate libc compatibility patch to their
operating system if they see the following error message when attempting to run
a Java application with the built class library components on a compatible VM :

<error: unable to load ICUInterface34 (libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object
file: No such file or directory)>

Where to obtain the required patch and the precise means of applying it will
obviously differ according to Linux distribution. On Debian the advanced package
tool apt-get could be used as follows :

user@server:~$> apt-get install libstdc++5

On a Red Hat Enterprise Linux machine the rpm tool may be used to install the
equivalent package thus :

user@server:~$> rpm -Uvh compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-47.3.i386.rpm

Consult the system administration documentation of your particular Linux
distribution for more information.