harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Zakharov, Vasily M" <vasily.m.zakha...@intel.com>
Subject RE: [ibmvm][classlib][concurrent] java.util.concurrent doesn't work on IBM VM?
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2007 19:59:21 GMT

Hmm, the situation seems uncertain. In this case, the third question
becomes even more actual:

- Can/should we use Concurrent package in implementation of other
Harmony packages (like AWT) ?

 Vasily

-----Original Message-----
From: nbeyer@gmail.com [mailto:nbeyer@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Nathan
Beyer
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2007 11:20 PM
To: dev@harmony.apache.org
Subject: Re: [ibmvm][classlib][concurrent] java.util.concurrent doesn't
work on IBM VM?

The plan for this was to define the VM Objects/Threads classes and
implement sun.misc.Unsafe using the VM Objects/Threads, which would be
part of the luni-kernel. Then, each VM would implement the VM
Objects/Threads classes as part their implementation of luni-kernel.

I believe the IBM folks were willing to implement things this way, but
everything seems to fall apart when we discussed the Objects/Threads
classes, so they never really got finalized and for some reason the
DRLVM code was hacked together to implement sun.misc.Unsafe directly
and implement LockSupport.

If we can pull this back together, perhaps we can get the IBM folks to
implement this stuff for us. :)

-Nathan

On 4/12/07, Zakharov, Vasily M <vasily.m.zakharov@intel.com> wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> As far as I can see, currently java.util.concurrent package doesn't
work
> with IBM VM, because it relies on sun.misc.Unsafe that doesn't work
with
> IBM VM. So I've got a number of interesting questions:
>
> - Does IBM VM have an operational implementation of sun.misc.Unsafe ?
>
> - What is the "official" status of Concurrent package implementation
in
> Harmony with respect to IBM VM ?
>
> - Can/should we use Concurrent package in implementation of other
> Harmony packages (like AWT) ?
>
> This issue showed up while investigating AWT issue HARMONY-3601. The
> simple test that demonstrates the problem is simply running:
>
> java java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport
>
> Consider the following printouts:
>
> DRL VM:
>
> Uncaught exception in main:
> java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: main
> (this is clearly the correct behavior)
>
> IBM VM:

> sun.misc.Unsafe
>         at
> java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.<clinit>(LockSupport.java:80)
>         at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initializeImpl(Native Method)
>         at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initialize(J9VMInternals.java:177)
> (sun.misc.Unsafe is just absent)
>
> IBM VM (with Suncompat module enabled in bootclasspath.properties):

> org.apache.harmony.kernel.vm.Objects
>         at sun.misc.Unsafe.<init>(Unsafe.java:64)
>         at sun.misc.Unsafe.<clinit>(Unsafe.java:34)
>         at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initializeImpl(Native Method)
>         at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initialize(J9VMInternals.java:177)
>         at
> java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.<clinit>(LockSupport.java:80)
>         at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initializeImpl(Native Method)
>         at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initialize(J9VMInternals.java:177)
>
> This stack demonstrates that the default implementation of
> sun.misc.Unsafe in Suncompat module doesn't work with IBM VM (it
> wouldn't work with DRL VM either, but DRL VM has its own
implementation