harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Naveen Neelakantam <neela...@uiuc.edu>
Subject Re: [drlvm][jit] abcd and devirtualizer patches was: [OT] Harmony used in accepted research paper
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2007 07:36:33 GMT

On Apr 20, 2007, at 1:42 AM, Egor Pasko wrote:

> On the 0x2B6 day of Apache Harmony Naveen Neelakantam wrote:
>> I've uploaded a patch against Egor's ABCD implementation in
>> HARMONY-1788.   It passes the tests included with HARMONY-2141,
>> HARMONY-2144 and HARMONY-2147, and removes all but one bounds check
>> from BidirectionalBubbleSort in HARMONY-1564.  I've also ran the
>> DaCapo benchmarks using it and it doesn't seem to break anything.
>
> Naveen, I am somewhere in the middle of looking at your great
> work. Sorry for being so slow, but, you know, making sure that ABCD
> works as expected is not an easy thing to do :)

Indeed.  :-)

> One major question for now: Why do we need two separate inequality
> graphs, for upper and lower bound problems? You name the lower bound
> graph as 'inverted', but I do not see any 'inverted' edges in tests I
> tried. It seems like we can merge two graphs into one in the way extra
> pi edges they won't disturb each other.
>
> Do you have any quick counter-example to this approach (so I do not
> stagger for a long time searching it)?

I could be wrong, but I think you need two different inequality
graphs.  If I recall correctly, the reason has to do with the types
of constraints inserted for conditional branch operations are
different in the upper and lower bound problems.

I'll try to work up an example why tomorrow.

But maybe you are suggesting that we could have a single data-
structure that logically represents both the upper and lower bound
problems.  If so, I think that might be possible (and would certainly
be more efficient).

Naveen