harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Egor Pasko <egor.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Linux libstdc++.so.5 dependency
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2007 06:08:51 GMT
On the 0x2C1 day of Apache Harmony Gregory Shimansky wrote:

[snip]

> > 3. to compile libstdc++ statically for non-x86 (for example, x86_64)
> >    we need to compile libstdc++-X.a with -fPIC option by hand (because
> >    it is a very rare configuration)
>
> Gentoo has libstdc++_pic.a

cool :)

> (e.g. /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/libstdc++_pic.a), maybe
> some other distros have something similar, but I agree that it is not
> a rule to have this static lib compiled with -fpic.
>
> > IMHO, the best way is to go (3) for snapshots and releases to make our
> > binaries independant of library version on the target system. But for
> > development needs the easiest way is to install both libstdc++-5 and
> > libstdc++-6.
>
> I wouldn't want to separate development from snapshots and
> releases. If there is no big reason it would be better to use the same
> environment for development as the one we use for snapshots.

well, the difference in linking is quite small, no bugs expected, but
would make Harmony easier to install for non-professionals. So, I do
not like it so much.

> The problem is that I think we cannot distribute the binaries of it,

ah, those license issues, I am not an expert at all :(

> but we can download and build it at the build time in a way similar to
> what DRLVM does to apr, apr-utils and log4cxx.

To summarize the thread. We have several ideas on how to treat
libstdc++ diversity on various linux systems:

1. create both snapshots (libstdc++ 5 and 6 separately) plus a good
   instruction for not-very-geeky users (like me:) on how to check what
   version of libstdc++ you have on your system

2. download libstdc++ and recompile it in our build, link in a way
   whatever is convenient (does it need to tweak gcc afterwards?)

not many ideas. I would appreciate comments and final decisions on this.

--
Egor Pasko