harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Egor Pasko <egor.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Harmony used in accepted research paper
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2007 06:17:46 GMT
On the 0x2B1 day of Apache Harmony Naveen Neelakantam wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> You might like to hear that a paper which used Apache Harmony as part
> of a research infrastructure was accepted to ISCA 2007 (International
> Symposium on Computer Architecture).  I will be presenting this work
> in San Diego in June and will be sure to include a slide plugging
> Harmony.
>
> I would like to thank all of the JVM and classlib developers who made
> such an endeavor even possible.  You are doing a wonderful job, and
> it is much appreciated!  Please pat yourself on the back.  :-)
>
> BTW, in the process of doing this work I helped get Egor Pasko's ABCD
> reimplementation finished, and I added profile-based abstract call
> and virtual devirtualization to the code from HARMONY-2012.  I'll
> post the patches after the weekend.

BTW, one comment on this one:

    // Note: is this an optimization?  It prevents adding a link from
    // unconstrained operands.  This is always safe, and it shouldn't lose
    // opportunity, but maybe we should discuss it to be sure?
    if ( !src->isUnconstrained() ) {
        _igraph->addEdge(...);
    }

I marked operands unconstrained in case they do not fit into 64 bit
constants. We can not deal with them. Another case is when the
instruction is "not supported" by ABCD such as multiplication and many
others. So, it is not an optimization.

--
Egor Pasko