harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Egor Pasko <egor.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Linux libstdc++.so.5 dependency
Date Sun, 22 Apr 2007 20:19:44 GMT
On the 0x2C0 day of Apache Harmony Tim Ellison wrote:
> Gregory Shimansky wrote:
> > Nathan Beyer wrote:
> >> There's a comment about this in the classlib README, that I just
> >> found. It seems this is a dependency from the ICU 3.4 libraries.
> >> There's been off an on talk about upgrading to the latest ICU release.
> >> Maybe it has upgraded its dependencies.
> >
> > I think this dependency doesn't come inherently from the 3.4 version of
> > ICU. It comes from the host which was used to compile ICU binaries.
> > Apparently it had libstdc++.so.5 as default stdc++ library. If ICU was
> > compiled on a more modern distribution, it would depend on version 6.
> >
> > To get rid of this dependency ICU could be linked with libstdc++
> > statically.
>
> Couldn't we also link in a reference to the library unversioned, and
> pick up whatever the ldconfig has defined?

1. they are not compatible

2. not only libICU uses libstdc++, DRLVM uses libstdc++-X too, where X
   is 5 or 6, and the actual number depends on the GCC version, that
   built DRLVM

3. to compile libstdc++ statically for non-x86 (for example, x86_64)
   we need to compile libstdc++-X.a with -fPIC option by hand (because
   it is a very rare configuration)

IMHO, the best way is to go (3) for snapshots and releases to make our
binaries independant of library version on the target system. But for
development needs the easiest way is to install both libstdc++-5 and
libstdc++-6.

--
Egor Pasko