harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Wayne Beaton" <wa...@eclipse.org>
Subject Eclipse doesn't find harmony sources
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2007 22:27:49 GMT
When you add a JRE to Eclipse, it scans the JRE's directory for JAR files.
For each JAR file it finds, it looks for corresponding source. It does so by
climbing up the containment hierarchy looking for a file named "src.jar" or
"src.zip" (if you're curious, see
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.launching.StandardVMType#getDefaultSystemLibrarySou
rce()).

Harmony JDK doesn't store is source this way (it seems to include the
sources alongside the JAR files), so Eclipse doesn't find it (which means
that if, for example, you browse the class java.lang.String, you get a
"can't find the source" message in your editor).

Is there a special reason why Harmony sources are represented the way they
are? Is there any way to bundle 'em all up into a src.zip file?

In a related question, I'm not sure that putting them in the "jre" directory
is the right approach. I tend to think of the JRE directory as containing
*only* the JRE (i.e. I could yank it out and use it as a JRE) and the
sources--being part of the JDK--are outside of that directory.

I also can't find the source for kernel.jar. Where is Object.java,
Class.java, etc.?

I can understand why you'd want to have the sources in different files.
Eclipse handles J9 specially. It's probably time to generalize it's
implementation to handle arbitrary source configurations (perhaps via
extension point).

Wayne
--
Wayne Beaton