harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gerald Jerome <gerald.jer...@verizonbusiness.com>
Subject RE: [classlib][xnet] Problem using SSLSocketImpl behind load balancer
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2007 16:44:31 GMT
Hi Leo, my project, which uses the Sun JDK not Apache Harmony's (sorry),
only uses the x-net and luni libraries for SSL communication - the rest of
the code uses only the Sun libraries.  I removed InetAddress from the
deployed luni jar (and all InetAddress$* classes as well).  My code still
functions and can communicate using SSL (TLS actually) .  My understanding
based on when I worked with other Harmony developers to get the handshake
working correctly is that SSLSocketImpl uses SSLEngine and is not subclassed
from Socket.  So my opinion is that setting networkaddress.cache or the
negative cache will have no effect.

Gerald Jerome

Vnet 262-2375

  _____

From: Leo Li [mailto:liyilei1979@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2007 7:58 PM
To: dev@harmony.apache.org
Subject: Re: [classlib][xnet] Problem using SSLSocketImpl behind load
balancer

Hi, Gerald:

     The harmony build system adopts an incremental compiling, thus if the
InetAddress is removed, the build will still succeed since it regards that
no new/modification has occurred. Actually the deploy still contains the
InetAddress class if you look at the luni.jar built from it. But if you
clean the system, build system will complain about compiling errors. The
class is needed by several core classes, such as socket.

     So if you do not need the DNS caching, the solution is simple: Just
remove the caching mechanism in the InetAddress class.

     If you would like, you can try the patch in attachment, which can be
applied on the luni module at revision 528316. (It is just a customization
on classlib for your case, not for Harmony classlib itself.)

     Besides, you can also remove the return NagativeCache if necessary in
your case.