harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Tingpeng Wu" <wutingp...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: problem about System.loadLibrary and object's address
Date Mon, 30 Apr 2007 02:31:48 GMT
xiaofeng, I have two major problems which need to be solved currently.
1. In my computer, Drlvm's java.exe couldn't run the java program which has loadLibrary call.
I don't know whether it is for drlvm's reason or not. I don't know if others can run it correctly.
It is a troublesome matter for me.
2. Is it proper to use MyRuntime which was refered yesterday to support the free(obj) in the
early work which is lack of support of JIT? I planned to verify it by an test program. But
for above reason, I couldn't go on now.

Thanks,
tingpeng

----- Original Message -----
From: "Xiao-Feng Li" <xiaofeng.li@gmail.com>
To: <dev@harmony.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2007 9:47 AM
Subject: Re: problem about System.loadLibrary and object's address

> Tingpeng, I think for first step test, you can use traditional JNI.
> The fast JNI is only for performance here.
>
> Thanks,
> xiaofeng
>
> On 4/29/07, Tingpeng Wu <wutingpeng@gmail.com> wrote:
>> xiaofeng, very thank you for your help and valuable time. I will try your suggestion
next.

class, but I don't know how to call it directly. Since drlvm needs HotSpot to help it to compile
the java source code, if I don't call it though an instance, the HotSpot couldn't distinguish
it. If I let the Jit to add the free() call in a future time, I will not need it any more.

jobj)" in object_handle.cpp to return the address of jobj . I can call it directly to get
the object address in free() method. Since I could not assure whether it can get the right
address, so I add the get_obj_addr() for test purpose. I will delete it if it can work corredtly.

to support reclaiming the object explicitly. Then in jit module, I will add some analysis
to insert some free call to reclaim the dead object in advance. The purpose is to try to improve
the efficiency of program's execution.

>> > Jimmy, it's possible to insert free() automatically in jitted code to
>> > reclaim some short-lived objects. This can be a supplementary to the
>> > GC, and probably improve the overall performance. Tingpeng had
>> > previous discussions with me on this topic actually.
>> >
>> > TingPeng, the runtime helper is a way in DRLVM for the VM to provide
>> > JIT certain supports, e.g.,  exception throwing, etc.  One of the
>> > important usages of runtime helper is to provide a way of fast native
>> > method invocation. That is, when you know a native method never causes
>> > GC, you probably can use a runtime helper for JIT to generate code to
>> > invoke this native method directly without going through the JNI
>> > stuff. This makes native call fast.
>> >
>> > You can find runtime helper code in jit_runtime_support related files.
>> > Please go search VM_RT_AASTORE in vm source code, you will see in
>> > vmcore/src/util/ia32/base/jit_runtime_support_ia32.cpp how aastore can
>> > implemented in native code to support JIT.    VM_RT_GC_HEAP_WRITE_REF
>> > is an example for write barrier native implementation
>> > gc_heap_slot_write_ref().
>> >
>> > Please let me know if you have any further questions.
>> >
>> > Thanks. xiaofeng

I am afraid I need do some investigation on it.

in the

wrote:
> [...]
two method in JNItest.cpp. Then use them to build goodluck.dll. I use the latest verson of
drlvm to test it, there is still an error which reports "Vm launcher meets error and needs
shut up (this is translated from chinese)".

get the address of obj in java to support the reclaimation. I plan to

vmcore to support MyRuntime.get_obj_addr(Object obj)
in gc to support MyRuntime.free(Object obj)
in java method.

by your C compiler. You
JNI interface, or

wrote:
> [...]
I found that when program has System.loadLibrary call, there is always an error which reports
"java.lang.outofmemoryerror <no stack trace available>". The same program can run on
Hotspot. Why this happens and how to solve it?

code of Object.clone method in Object_generic.cpp.

jobj)

it to variable named result

is the address of java object. Is it ture? Does this means I can use the same way to get the
address of object in vmcore's other place provided the necessary head file is included?