harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Yang Paulex" <paulex.y...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib]proposal: java6 kick off!
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2007 07:51:00 GMT
2007/3/28, Mikhail Fursov <mike.fursov@gmail.com>:

> Does it really worth branching?
> If there are no conflicts with Java5 API why not to work it in the active
> trunk?

Then how to export a Java 5 source tree?

I remembered there was discussion on the list, the proposals include tags in
source code, svn branch, etc. Maybe it's time to reactivate that thread and
try to get a solution on this.

I prefer branch a little, because tags definitely impair the readability of
source code. And if we introduced some preprocessor to create pure source
codes, the "merge back" after edit will be an issue.

The branch's main issue is also how to merge bug fixing/improvement between
branches, espcially our Java 5 trunk is still in progress and not stable
yet. Maybe we can get an daemon script to merge Java 5 branch modifications
to Java 6 branch on demand or daily, but some kind of manual work is
probably unavoidable.

On 3/28/07, Tony Wu <wuyuehao@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Hi all,
> > It's close to the end of Q1 2007. Is it time for us to consider the
> > JAVA SE 6 new features? IIRC it was written in our high level road
> > map. We could start with creating a branch and recording what should
> > we do and the progress on harmony wiki.

Not very sure this is the right time to go for Java 6, personally I prefer
we get a relative stable developer release at first, but I have no strong
feelings on this. Anyway, I think it will be interesting and has no harm to
create a wiki page on the gap between Java 5 and Java 6.

--
Paulex Yang
China Software Development laboratory