harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Beliaev <vladimir.k.beli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][winx86][build][gc_gen] pls fix gc_gen build on windows/em64t
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:55:31 GMT
Xiao Feng,

As far as I understand you propose to one to put on wiki page all issues
(with solutions) one came across doing something... I sure this is a way
to produce the unstructured documentation one can never navigate
successfully.

Also, if I start doing something I'm tried to end it with the highest
quality - so I'm opened to criticism, feedback, comments. And if I
understand clear then one should not give you any feedback until one
does <this thing you did> better...

Ok, sounds good for me...

Vladimir Beliaev

Xiao-Feng Li wrote:
> [...]
> page.
>
>> - Using 64-bit version of tools for 64-bit platforms seems to be pretty
>> natural... I believe if one is using 32-bit version of javac then he/she
>> can use 32-bit version of compiler (probably, I'm just guessing) I get
>> 32-bit version of Harmony...
>
> This is not so natural for me, that's why I put it there.
> 1. I am on a Win64 platform which has JDK installed. No
> one/information tells me I should reinstall a 64bit JDK, just like I
> didn't reinstall SVN and ANT.
> 2. With 32-bit JDK, the build failed because the platform architecture
> is AMD64, which guided the build script to some incorrect patch for
> me.
>
>> - for this reason using msvc2005 seems to be pretty obvious since there
>> is no 64-bit version of msvc2003 (AFAIK).
>
> Yes, but it's only obvious for you. Why should the user know she has
> to use MSVC2005? Can't she try with Intel compiler? Or can't she try
> to look for "MSVC2007"?
>
>> - one needs to "call" vcvarsall.bat on windows/ia32 too if one builds
>> from cygwin (which is not officially supported) - this there are a bit
>> more tricks for building from cygwin (I use it) which can be mentioned.
>> If one builds from cmd, then these is shortcut in start menu installed
>> with msvc which runs cmd with proper argument (with this call), so it is
>> not quite write to train the fingers and type the long pass to this bat
>> from fresh cmd...
>
> If you didn't meet any issue with it, you don't need to know it. I met
> this problem and I know some friends met this problem too. I never
> type the long path; instead, I just drag & drop the command.
>
>> - I remember 'msvcr*.dll not found" issue for windows/ia32 - at least my
>> build script keeps the "copy this dll to depends" patch. It might be
>> fixed already for windows/ia32 - if yes, then the right option is JIRA
>> for windows/em64t build & get it fixed...
>
> Yes, please.  I created this wiki page because no one else put the
> useful info somewhere. When the information is available somewhere, we
> can definitely remove this page.
>
>> So I propose move pretty helpful (but not windows/em64t specific) stuff
>> written by Xiao-Feng to some common build instruction (like
>> http://harmony.apache.org/quickhelp_contributors.html) - let's get
>> information structured & not splashed over tons of documents.
>
> Where are the "over tons of documents" that can help people to build
> Win64 Harmony?
>
>> And (might be) keep one line in this one like "use msvc2005, no other
>> diffs"... Or
>> better extend quickhelp_contributors.html with 'windows/em64t' build
>> information (why do we create one more build instruction)???
>
> Yes, please. I just volunteered to do what I thought right and useful
> to the Harmony community. You can volunteer to do what you think
> right. And I never criticize other people's serious contribution

 for it.