harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Beliaev <vladimir.k.beli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][winx86][build][gc_gen] pls fix gc_gen build on windows/em64t
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2007 10:35:09 GMT
I read the instruction & have several comments.

Basically I see no difference in Harmony build process for windows/ia32
& windows/em64t:

- Using 64-bit version of tools for 64-bit platforms seems to be pretty
natural... I believe if one is using 32-bit version of javac then he/she
can use 32-bit version of compiler (probably, I'm just guessing) I get
32-bit version of Harmony...

- for this reason using msvc2005 seems to be pretty obvious since there
is no 64-bit version of msvc2003 (AFAIK).

- one needs to "call" vcvarsall.bat on windows/ia32 too if one builds
from cygwin (which is not officially supported) - this there are a bit
more tricks for building from cygwin (I use it) which can be mentioned.
If one builds from cmd, then these is shortcut in start menu installed
with msvc which runs cmd with proper argument (with this call), so it is
not quite write to train the fingers and type the long pass to this bat
from fresh cmd...

- I remember 'msvcr*.dll not found" issue for windows/ia32 - at least my
build script keeps the "copy this dll to depends" patch. It might be
fixed already for windows/ia32 - if yes, then the right option is JIRA
for windows/em64t build & get it fixed...

So I propose move pretty helpful (but not windows/em64t specific) stuff
written by Xiao-Feng to some common build instruction (like
http://harmony.apache.org/quickhelp_contributors.html) - let's get
information structured & not splashed over tons of documents. And (might
be) keep one line in this one like "use msvc2005, no other diffs"... Or
better extend quickhelp_contributors.html with 'windows/em64t' build
information (why do we create one more build instruction)???

Thanks
Vladimir Beliaev