harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] Ignoring Sun command line options?
Date Sat, 03 Mar 2007 20:45:14 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Feb 15, 2007, at 10:55 AM, Alexey Varlamov wrote:

>>> Ignoring them silently I think it not the right thing to do. Why not add
>>> a warning like JRockit does, so that application developers would pay
>>> more attention to the options that they pass to the VM?
>>
>> Yes, this should be resolved with the 2nd part; AFAIU this is the only
>> way to do it consistently.
>> Don't you suggest to hardcode all options we aware of at the moment
>> and warn on uknown? IMO this would be unmaintanable, e.g. jitrino has
>> tons of options and they are added/changed quite often.
>
> I suspect the solution will require some refactoring, but you could
> iteratively feed each option to each component as they are initialized,
> and the component simply reports 1/0 if it cares or not.  Then, for any
> option for which the core VM didn't care, and the compomenets didn't
> care, we report a "unknown option" message.

This may be not so simple because some options may be actually choosing
different components from several possible choices. E.g. if -Xint is
specified, then there is no reason to ask JIT component about what
options it supports.

So before asking components about supported options, VM will have to
determine the set of components it will use and initialize.

--
Gregory