harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Li" <liyilei1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Classlib][General] Looking for some profiler tools to use
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2007 22:22:27 GMT
Hi, Ivan:
     I have tried TPTP 4.1, but it can only profile the on the JRE on which
the eclipse is launched. And if the eclipse is launched on Harmony, TPTP
will not work. Actually it hangs after started.:(
     I will try TPTP 4.4, but does TPTP4.3 which is the stable version
posted on eclipse.org work?

    Thanks.

On 3/30/07, Ivan Popov <ivan.g.popov@gmail.com> wrote:

> Right now JVMTI profiler in TPTP 4.4.0 cannot be launched from Eclipse
> workbench directly. You need to download Agent Controller [1] and
> setup it to use appropriate JDK. To do setup, unpack Agent Controller
> bundle to some directory, go to "tptp\tptpdc\win_ia32\bin" directory
> and run SetConfig.bat. When prompted to input path to Java executable,
> put there path to java.exe from Harmony. For other questions you can
> just leave default values. After completing setup you have to start
> Agent Controller by running ACServer.exe. There is readme.txt file in
> bin directory which provides more details about using Agent
> Controller.
>
> After Agent Controller has been started, you can run profiling from
> Eclipse workbench, it will connect Agent Controller and use JDK
> specified there. Just ensure that you choose "Java Profiling (Java
> 5.0)" on Monitor tab of a launching configuration. The other item
> "Java Profiling" selected by default is for old JVMPI-based profiler
> which won't work with Harmony.
>
> You can find a more up-to-date description of TPTP JVMTI profiler
> provided in presentation at EclipseCon [2]. It better corresponds to
> the current TPTP release, than the instruction mentioned below. In the
> upcoming release of TPTP profiler it will be possible to use JVMTI
> profiler without starting Agent Controller, this will greatly
> facilitate its usage.
>
> [1]
> http://www.eclipse.org/tptp/home/downloads/?buildId=TPTP-4.4.0-200703270100A#agentController
> [2] http://www.eclipsecon.org/2007/index.php?page=sub/&id=3669
>

> On 3/30/07, LvJimmy,Jing <firepure@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2007/3/30, Ivan Popov <ivan.g.popov@gmail.com>:
> > > You may want to use Eclipse TPTP Java profiler from Eclipse Test &
> > > Performance Tools Platform Project [1]. Current version 4.4.0 includes
> > > new JVMTI profiler, which supports Execution time analysis, Threads
> > > status analysis, and Objects allocation analysis. It supports
> > > profiling both application and system classes, just set appropriate
> > > filters in Monitor tab of launching configuration.
> > >
> > > This is development version, which is not yet much stable and
> > > convenient, but it became much better last time. You may download
> > > stable or candidate build here [2]. See good instruction how to setup
> > > TPTP JVMTI profiler in [3]. This instruction is slightly outdated, but
> > > still useful. Updated instruction will appear shortly. Also very
> > > useful changes in launching configuration are expected soon, which
> > > will greatly facilitate launching application under profiler.
> > >
> > > I checked TPTP profiler with Harmony JDK and it appeared working quite
> > > well. Let me know if you'll experience any problems with TPTP
> > > profiler.
> > >

> > Thanks Ivan! I've download TPTP and have a try. It is properly a very
> > good profiler, nice-looking UI, easy to use.  However I can not find
> > how to set a certain VM in TPTP? I mean, when I try to profile some
> [...]

Leo Li
China Software Development Lab, IBM