harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [general] Harmony Q2 release requirements
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2007 12:58:22 GMT

On Mar 5, 2007, at 3:53 AM, Mikhail Loenko wrote:

> According to our high-level roadmap [1] we were going to make our
> first release in Q2. Let's define what we would like to see in our Q2
> release. If there are no objections let's discuss what we want that
> release being able to do.

That was a long distance guess, not The Law :)

Now that we are closer, we probably need to re-assess.  For example,
I'd much rather see a sequence of "developer releases" leading up to
our 1.0, whenever that will be, with each dev release building on the
last.

> I suggest that we focus on stability measured by being able to
> successfully run a few solid applications and by pass rates for the
> test suites.

Absolutely.  I thought that is what we're doing already :)

> So, I think in Q2 we should 1) run reasonable set of applications 2)
> have reasonable testing infrastructure and 3) pass reasonable set of
> test suites.

Yes

> Though we will be happy to accept all the patches that fix existing
> problems or add missing functionality, I suggest that people who hang
> around will focus on those scenarios that we will choose here

I have no idea what that means.  We still need to continue completion
- our goal is a compatible implementation of Java SE 5, so we need to
continue working in that direction.

> Objections? :)
>
> If there are no objections again, I'd like to propose that we will
> target:
>
> 1) keeping all the enabled apps in the "up" state
> (we will create a list of enabled apps and put them all into cruise
> control)

+1

> 2) running 2-3 open source server-side software

+1

> 3) running 2-3 open source developers tools

+1

> 4) setting up necessary testing infrastructure and having near 100%
> pass rates for the suites we have

Sure, and this is already in progress.

> 5) what about commercial software? Some time ago we agreed that it's
> OK to report failures/regression of commercial software. Should we
> have them in the "requirements" to our Q2 release?

Again, I don't support the idea of One Big Q2 release.  I'd rather
see us setup a sequence of developer releases making incremental
improvement.

> Since currently the most stable platform is Windows/IA32 I suggest
> that Harmony Q2 will be released on that specific platform

Of course win32, but we also need to do the release on at least one
flavor of linux.

geir