harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Elford, Chris L" <chris.l.elf...@intel.com>
Subject RE: [Classlib][General] Looking for some profiler tools to use
Date Sat, 31 Mar 2007 00:55:17 GMT
Hi Jimmy,

  If you want to run TPTP JVMTI based profiling standalone and import the results into Eclipse,
you'll need to follow the instructions for setting your command line.

  The readme for this will be in a subdirectory under where you installed your agent controller....
 Use instructions look like this:

To run the new Java Profiler in standalone mode on Windows:
a) Set TPTP_AC_HOME=<<Agent Controller Home>>
b) Set JAVA_PROFILER_HOME=%TPTP_AC_HOME%\plugins\org.eclipse.tptp.javaprofiler
c) Set PATH=%JAVA_PROFILER_HOME%;%PATH%;%TPTP_AC_HOME%\bin
d) Set PATH=%PATH%;%JAVA_HOME%\bin
e) Execute the following command:
   java -agentlib:JPIBootLoader=JPIAgent:server=standalone;CGProf <<Your
   Application to profile>>

To run the new Java Profiler in standalone mode on Linux:
a) Set TPTP_AC_HOME=<<Agent Controller Home>>
b) Set JAVA_PROFILER_HOME=%TPTP_AC_HOME%/plugins/org.eclipse.tptp.javaprofiler
c) Add the following directories to LD_LIBRARY_PATH:
   %JAVA_PROFILER_HOME%:%TPTP_AC_HOME%/lib
d) Execute the following command:
   java ‘-agentlib:JPIBootLoader=JPIAgent:server=standalone;CGProf’ <<Your
   Application to profile>>

The profiling output will be written to a file named trace.trcxml in the current
directory that can then be loaded into the TPTP GUI..

There is a way to select the JRE to use from the GUI so that you can run directly from the
workbench.  The launch configurations have been undergoing some updates recently and I don't
see the dialog at the moment.

Regards,

Chris Elford
Intel SSG/Enterprise Solutions Software Division