harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Xiao-Feng Li" <xiaofeng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][winx86][build][gc_gen] pls fix gc_gen build on windows/em64t
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2007 11:56:25 GMT
On 3/28/07, Vladimir Beliaev <vladimir.k.beliaev@gmail.com> wrote:
> I read the instruction & have several comments.
>
> Basically I see no difference in Harmony build process for windows/ia32
> & windows/em64t:

This wiki page is for people who fail to build win64 Harmony in the
same way as for Win32, not intended for people who don't have problem
with it. If you don't see any difference, you don't need to read this
page.

> - Using 64-bit version of tools for 64-bit platforms seems to be pretty
> natural... I believe if one is using 32-bit version of javac then he/she
> can use 32-bit version of compiler (probably, I'm just guessing) I get
> 32-bit version of Harmony...

This is not so natural for me, that's why I put it there.
1. I am on a Win64 platform which has JDK installed. No
one/information tells me I should reinstall a 64bit JDK, just like I
didn't reinstall SVN and ANT.
2. With 32-bit JDK, the build failed because the platform architecture
is AMD64, which guided the build script to some incorrect patch for
me.

> - for this reason using msvc2005 seems to be pretty obvious since there
> is no 64-bit version of msvc2003 (AFAIK).

Yes, but it's only obvious for you. Why should the user know she has
to use MSVC2005? Can't she try with Intel compiler? Or can't she try
to look for "MSVC2007"?

> - one needs to "call" vcvarsall.bat on windows/ia32 too if one builds
> from cygwin (which is not officially supported) - this there are a bit
> more tricks for building from cygwin (I use it) which can be mentioned.
> If one builds from cmd, then these is shortcut in start menu installed
> with msvc which runs cmd with proper argument (with this call), so it is
> not quite write to train the fingers and type the long pass to this bat
> from fresh cmd...

If you didn't meet any issue with it, you don't need to know it. I met
this problem and I know some friends met this problem too. I never
type the long path; instead, I just drag & drop the command.

> - I remember 'msvcr*.dll not found" issue for windows/ia32 - at least my
> build script keeps the "copy this dll to depends" patch. It might be
> fixed already for windows/ia32 - if yes, then the right option is JIRA
> for windows/em64t build & get it fixed...

Yes, please.  I created this wiki page because no one else put the
useful info somewhere. When the information is available somewhere, we
can definitely remove this page.

> So I propose move pretty helpful (but not windows/em64t specific) stuff
> written by Xiao-Feng to some common build instruction (like
> http://harmony.apache.org/quickhelp_contributors.html) - let's get
> information structured & not splashed over tons of documents.

Where are the "over tons of documents" that can help people to build
Win64 Harmony?

> And (might be) keep one line in this one like "use msvc2005, no other diffs"... Or
> better extend quickhelp_contributors.html with 'windows/em64t' build
> information (why do we create one more build instruction)???

Yes, please. I just volunteered to do what I thought right and useful
to the Harmony community. You can volunteer to do what you think
right. And I never criticize other people's serious contribution
unless my contribution is better.

Thanks,
xiaofeng

> Thanks