harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Stepan Mishura" <stepan.mish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][security] incorrect assertion in tests.api.java.security.PermissionCollectionTest?
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2007 06:21:10 GMT
On 3/7/07, Ruth Cao wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> When I'm looking at the exclude lists in the security module, I've found
> that the test_impliesLjava_security_Permission method in
> t.a.j.security.PermissionCollectionTest fails on both RI and Harmony.
> Looking more deeply into the code, I think the main reason may be that
> the 'coucou.FileAccess' class does not contain certain permission. Thus,
> the result string on both RI and Harmony is 'false, false, false', which
> does not equal to the assertion.

The test fails on Harmony and RI with:
(java.io.FilePermission<abs_path>/signedBKS.jar read)

Why you think that 'coucou.FileAccess' class needs more permissions to read
signedBKS.jar file?

> Is it just a test case code problem or does it need more configuration
> to run this PermissionCollectionTest? Can any security guru give me some
> advice or suggestion? Thanks a lot.

Yes, it looks like a test case code problem for me - I can not understand
why PermissionCollection.implies() method is tested in this odd way: signed
jar-file, keystore, dynamically generated policy file, forked VM ....:-)
(May be I'm missing some nuances).
Do this testing scenario really tests the method? First of all it's abstract
method so we can test its implementation by some sublass. The test invokes
Policy.getPermissions(ProtectionDomain) method to get PermissionCollection
object but indeed that is instance of java.security.Permissions class. So
why not just simply create Permissions object, add required permissions to
it and test implies() method?

Thanks,
Stepan Mishura