harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "LvJimmy,Jing" <firep...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Classlib][General] Looking for some profiler tools to use
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2007 10:07:44 GMT
2007/3/30, Ivan Popov <ivan.g.popov@gmail.com>:
> You may want to use Eclipse TPTP Java profiler from Eclipse Test &
> Performance Tools Platform Project [1]. Current version 4.4.0 includes
> new JVMTI profiler, which supports Execution time analysis, Threads
> status analysis, and Objects allocation analysis. It supports
> profiling both application and system classes, just set appropriate
> filters in Monitor tab of launching configuration.
>
> This is development version, which is not yet much stable and
> convenient, but it became much better last time. You may download
> stable or candidate build here [2]. See good instruction how to setup
> TPTP JVMTI profiler in [3]. This instruction is slightly outdated, but
> still useful. Updated instruction will appear shortly. Also very
> useful changes in launching configuration are expected soon, which
> will greatly facilitate launching application under profiler.
>
> I checked TPTP profiler with Harmony JDK and it appeared working quite
> well. Let me know if you'll experience any problems with TPTP
> profiler.

Thanks Ivan! I've download TPTP and have a try. It is properly a very
good profiler, nice-looking UI, easy to use.  However I can not find
how to set a certain VM in TPTP? I mean, when I try to profile some
codes under RI, it works (I start eclipse with RI), but when I try to
profiler under DRLVM or IBMVME, I can not find the right place to set
the proper JRE? I've tried to modify JRE in "Run" View, but it does
not effect profiler at all, System.getProperty("java.vm.name") show
that is RI.
But maybe we can start eclipse with Harmony and run profiler?