harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Rana Dasgupta" <rdasg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][threading] H3289 -- some JVMTI questions
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2007 01:36:54 GMT
I am not sure what the current thinking is on this, but I would suggest the
opposite to 3289 ... tying the lifetime of the hythread structure to the
java thread object and storing a reference to it in the thread object. When
the OS thread goes away the association between its TLS and the hythread
structure goes away, but the structure itself is preserved till GC collects
the java thread object when the hythread memory block will need to be
released back. We should also store all thread state unambiguously in the
hythread structure (and not split across the two locations ) and protect
updates to it with an unmanaged lock. This would ensure that all api's that
read/update thread state, jvmti, any cycle detection code we may add will
look in one place only. That is easier said than done, but it will be nice
to move in this direction.

I tried out various shutdown sequences in the debugger and they all seemed
to work. So though terminatethread is about the worst thing we can do on
Windows, the sequence below seems to work. I noticed that while we prevent
races in vm_destroy() when multiple threads could call System.exit()
simultaneously with an APR global lock, there is nothing preventing new
threads from being created while shutdown is in progress.

Less important, I also noticed that we do nothing with dll attach/detach
notifications. If we use 10 dll's in every java process and each dllmain
touches 2 pages( 1 data, 1 code ), that's 20 pages added to the working
set at startup. That's about a 100K. We can just DisableThreadLibraryCalls()
to switch off these notifications.

Thanks,
Rana