harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Weldon Washburn" <weldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][threading] Gregory, please stop committing patches to the threading subsystem for now
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2007 06:14:05 GMT

> Weldon Washburn wrote:
> > Gregory,
> > Please stop committing patches to the threading subsystem.  I really
> need
> > time to look at patches such as H3504 before they are committed.
> > All,
> > This really highlights an issue that needs solving.  We now need to
> > determine a very short list of Harmony VM engineers who will work on the
> > threading subsystem.  The top priority is fixing basic design problems
> with
> > the existing drlvm Thread Manager.  I think this short list is Peter
> > Novodvorsky, Pavel Rebriy and myself.  We will use a combination of
> > dev@harmony for decisons and irc freenode.net/harmony for interactive
> > discussions.
>
> Weldon, I think this is an inappropriate call.

Sorry.  My mistake.  I have been a bit overwhelmed by performance patches
such as H3065 lately.

While I understand that
> you need to converge on a stable thread manager I don't think you should
> ask that people are excluded from working on the problem.

You are correct.  What I really mean to communicate is that "drive-by"
involvement really slows down development.  Threading engineering is a major
commitment.  Its a bit like heart surgery.  Its really hard to get more than
30 or 40 fingers in the cavity at once.

By all means
> ask that people take care, and that full and open discussion takes place
> on the dev list, but we don't want to see people off in a huddle.

Yes indeed.  This is why I ask that the stuff that really needs interactive
conversations get moved to the official Harmony IRC channel.  All
conversations will be recorded.  Also, I will post a description of dlrvm
threading problems shortly so that everyone can follow and participate.

In summary, by all means ask for reasonable time to review

--
Weldon Washburn