harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Weldon Washburn" <weldon...@gmail.com>
Subject [drlvm][threading] can anyone explain what apr_thread_yield_other() does?
Date Sun, 18 Mar 2007 21:22:13 GMT
All,

It seems DRLVM has extended APR with an API called apr_thread_yield_other.
I really do not understand what this API does.   There are no comments in
the code.  Can anyone tell us?   (Please see "[drlvm][threading] questions
about 3288..." for recent related discussion.)
My guess is that apr_thread_yield_other() is effectively a nop whose only
impact on system behavior is to consume a bunch of CPU cycles.  I ran the
following experiment.  apr_thread_yield_other() was modified to simply
return immediately. "build test" was run on a 2-way Linux box.  "build test"
still passes.  While this test is not rigorous, this result suggests maybe
we should commit a mod that removes apr_thread_yield_other from svn HEAD
and see if CruiseControl has problems.  Thoughts?

--
Weldon Washburn