harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Weldon Washburn" <weldon...@gmail.com>
Subject [drlvm][threading] comments on Harmony-3288
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2007 05:17:08 GMT
This JIRA does not specifically state the high-level motivation.  It would
be a good idea to discuss the motivation on the dev list so that Harmony
priorities are clearly set.  I throw the following observations onto the
list to get the conversation going.

I think a valid motivation for H3288 is basic threading subsystem
stability.  I agree with the observation that Apache Portable Runtime (APR)
adds much confusion and probably even bugs to the threading model.   It
would be good to reduce the amount of APR code where possible.  Even if this
means cluttering the native C code with "#ifdef LINUX.... #elseif
WINDOWS...#endif".

Bottom line:  I think Harmony-3288 is attacking the correct problem.  It
looks like it is going the right direction.  I have not looked at 3288 real
close thus I don't know yet if 3288 is ready for commit.

--
Weldon Washburn