harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Discussion: how to keep up stability and fast progress all together?
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2007 14:13:51 GMT
Stepan Mishura wrote:
> We made a big progress in improving the project's code base. Just for
> example, a total number of excluded tests in the class library were
> reduced by ~ 60 entries in two months. Also taking into account that
> Windows x86_64 build was enabled and the test suite is growing I think
> this is a good progress indicator for the Class library. The same for
> DRL VM – new testing modes are added and a total number of excluded
> tests for most of modes are reducing. Let's keep up good progress!
>
> But I'd like to attract attention to stability issues. I've been
> monitoring CC status for a couple of months and I my impression that
> situation with stability become worse – a number of reports about
> failures is growing. I'm afraid that if we set keeping good stability
> aside then it may affect the overall project's progress.
>
> I'd like to encourage everybody to pay attention to stability side and
> to hear ideas how to improve the situation?

Caveat:  I'm still 200 emails behind on the dev list, a good sign of the
project's liveliness, but my apologies in advance for any repetition...

IMO we won't achieve rock solid stability without focusing on it as an
explicit goal; and delivering a Milestone release is the best way to get
that focus.

Not exactly a novel or radical idea, but Milestones have a number of
benefits not least of which is that they demonstrate we, as a diverse
group, can converge on a delivery of the code we are working on.  Some
projects will rumble on forever without committing to a stable, tested,
and likely imperfect, packaging of something.

If the Milestones are time-boxed they also form a natural boundary for
feature planning, and afford some predictability to the project that is
also important.

In my experience, something like 6 to 8 weeks between Milestones is a
good period of time.  Four weeks is too short to get big ticket items in
and stable, and 12 weeks (a quarter year) is too long such that
instability can set-in.

In that 6 to 8 week period there should be a time at the end where we
hold back from introducing cool new function, and emphasize testing and
fixing.  Maybe that is the last seven days leading up to the Milestone,
and of course, if instability exists we slip the date until we can
declare a stable point.

I read the discussion on naming, and M1, M2, ... is fine by me.  How
about we pick a proposed date for Apache Harmony M1?

Regards,
Tim