harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Beyer" <ndbe...@apache.org>
Subject [general] What platforms do we support?
Date Sat, 31 Mar 2007 03:34:12 GMT
Over the past few months I've been experimenting with various platform
configurations to run the build tests on and I've been running into
enormous hurdles that seem to all be turning out to be undocumented
platform requirements.

Currently, the downloads page [1] separates the available snapshots
into three platforms; Windows 32-bit, Linux 32-bit and Linux 64-bit.
All of these platforms are Intel-based x86, one would have to guess.
The Wiki has a section called "porting matrix" [2], which seems
specific to DRLVM. This seems to indicate that only the latest
platforms are supported; IA32 with SSE/SSE2 (what does that even
mean?) on Linux and WinXP/2003, IA64 and AMD64 on Linux.

What I have found anecdotally is
* Classlib blows chunks on Windows 2000 because of the AWT/Swing code.
* DRLVM blows chunks, hard, on Pentium III and Pentium III Xeon systems
* IBM's VM works on Windows 2000, 2003, XP and on P3+ systems

My point being, this is confusing. At the very least, it's not clearly
documented; does the classlib have different requirements or the same
as DRLVM? DRLVM can't run on P3 chips; isn't that a little silly? How
many P3-based servers are there out there that run J2EE app servers?

Regardless, I think we need to come to a common understanding
(decision), document it and test against it.

-Nathan

[1] http://harmony.apache.org/downloads.html
[2] http://harmony.apache.org/roadmap.html#Porting%20Matrix