harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Beyer" <ndbe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [drlvm] tests failing on linux (Ubuntu 7.04-dev) with Quad Xeon P3
Date Sat, 31 Mar 2007 02:46:09 GMT
I ran the smoke tests and they failed horribly. From what I can tell,
every test failed.

I ran the GDB examines after running my HelloWorld class, here's the output.

(gdb) x/1i $eip
0xb7b4f2ab:     mfence
(gdb) x/1i $eip+1
0xb7b4f2ac:     scas   %es:(%edi),%al
(gdb)

I ran it a second time while still in GDB a little more information was shown.

Program received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
Cannot remove breakpoints because program is no longer writable.
It might be running in another process.
Further execution is probably impossible.
0xb7bca2ab in jsig_primary_sigaction (sig=142459008, act=0x1,
oact=0xbfe67f28) at hysigunix.c:303
303                   if (primaryPreviouslyInstalled &&
(gdb) x/1i $eip
0xb7bca2ab <jsig_primary_sigaction+413>:        mfence
(gdb) x/1i $eip+1
0xb7bca2ac <jsig_primary_sigaction+414>:        scas   %es:(%edi),%al
(gdb)

-Nathan

On 3/30/07, Nathan Beyer <ndbeyer@apache.org> wrote:
> Okay, I'm trying that out now. Can the JIT be a little smarter and not
> use instructions that aren't available? We certainly can't limit
> available platforms to P4 or newer.
>
> -Nathan
>
> On 3/30/07, Gregory Shimansky <gshimansky@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ok I think I know what's going on. DRLVM JIT generates SSE2 instructions,
> > and according to the subject, you are using P3. SSE2 is not available on P3
> > and will generate SIGILL on it. So it is most likely not related to JVMTI
> > implementation. To prove this you can try to run "build.sh smoke.test" which
> > should execute pure Java without any JVMTI.
> >
> > If you could please do
> >
> > x/1i $eip $eip+1
> >
> > in gdb to disassemble the failing address to see what instruction caused
> > SIGILL.
> >
> > 2007/3/30, Nathan Beyer <ndbeyer@apache.org>:
> > >
> > > I might have to take that back. I tried running a simple class and it
> > > bombed out with "Illegal instruction". Here's what I got from GDB run,
> > > below. Note, I'm still pretty green when it comes to Linux development
> > > tools, so I may sound like an idiot right now.
> > >
> > > nathan@pants
> > > :~/harmony/drlvm-trunk/build/lnx_ia32_gcc_debug/deploy/jdk/jre/bin$
> > > gdb --args ./java -cp ~/workspace/helloworld/bin/ HelloWorld
> > > GNU gdb 6.6-debian
> > > Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> > > GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you
> > > are
> > > welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> > > conditions.
> > > Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
> > > There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for
> > > details.
> > > This GDB was configured as "i486-linux-gnu"...
> > > Using host libthread_db library "/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libthread_db.so.1".
> > > (gdb) run
> > > Starting program:
> > >
> > > /home/nathan/harmony/drlvm-trunk/build/lnx_ia32_gcc_debug/deploy/jdk/jre/bin/java
> > > -cp /home/nathan/workspace/helloworld/bin/ HelloWorld
> > > [Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
> > > [New Thread -1214162256 (LWP 13833)]
> > > [New Thread -1215321200 (LWP 13836)]
> > > [New process 13833]
> > > [New LWP 13833]
> > >
> > > Program received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
> > > Cannot remove breakpoints because program is no longer writable.
> > > It might be running in another process.
> > > Further execution is probably impossible.
> > > 0xb7b0c2ab in ?? () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
> > > (gdb)

> > > segmentation
> > > RHEL

> > > Ubuntu