harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Leviev, Ilia A" <ilia.a.lev...@intel.com>
Subject [drlvm][threading] using a thread verification tool to find deadlock and race conditions
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2007 10:40:38 GMT

Hi,
I have started using http://intel.com/thread_checker_download.zip to
find deadlock and race conditions in the VM.

First I have checked Harmony which run Hello World
Application and tool have detected about 30 race conditions. But on some
DRLVM kernel tests it shows several hundred problems.

There some problem of tracking Harmony code by the Thread Checker.
The reason for this is that the Intel Thread Checker supports
interpretation only of standard APIs for Windows and POSIX threading.
Any specially built synchronization constructs that are not part of
Windows
API or POSIX API are not normally tracked by the Thread Checker.
However, the Thread Checker includes the User-Level Synchronization API
that to help gather information related to user-defined synchronization
constructs.
Thus if we use our own synchronization we should inform Thread Checker
runtime about it. Otherwise the tool will generate incorrect diagnostics
and will be useless for us.

In other words, to gain full benefit from Thread Checker, the VM
developers will need to embed thread checker calls in the
synchronization code.  Should we put this on the harmony development
schedule for Q2?

Thanks,
Ilya Leviev