harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Gregory Shimansky" <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] tests failing on linux (Ubuntu 7.04-dev) with Quad Xeon P3
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2007 12:03:27 GMT
Ok I think I know what's going on. DRLVM JIT generates SSE2 instructions,
and according to the subject, you are using P3. SSE2 is not available on P3
and will generate SIGILL on it. So it is most likely not related to JVMTI
implementation. To prove this you can try to run "build.sh smoke.test" which
should execute pure Java without any JVMTI.

If you could please do

x/1i $eip $eip+1

in gdb to disassemble the failing address to see what instruction caused
SIGILL.

2007/3/30, Nathan Beyer <ndbeyer@apache.org>:

> I might have to take that back. I tried running a simple class and it
> bombed out with "Illegal instruction". Here's what I got from GDB run,
> below. Note, I'm still pretty green when it comes to Linux development
> tools, so I may sound like an idiot right now.
>
> nathan@pants
> :~/harmony/drlvm-trunk/build/lnx_ia32_gcc_debug/deploy/jdk/jre/bin$
> gdb --args ./java -cp ~/workspace/helloworld/bin/ HelloWorld
> GNU gdb 6.6-debian
> GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you
> are
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> conditions.
> There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for
> details.
> This GDB was configured as "i486-linux-gnu"...
> Using host libthread_db library "/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libthread_db.so.1".
> (gdb) run
> Starting program:
>
> /home/nathan/harmony/drlvm-trunk/build/lnx_ia32_gcc_debug/deploy/jdk/jre/bin/java
> -cp /home/nathan/workspace/helloworld/bin/ HelloWorld
> [New Thread -1214162256 (LWP 13833)]
> [New Thread -1215321200 (LWP 13836)]
> [New process 13833]
> [New LWP 13833]
>
> Program received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
> Cannot remove breakpoints because program is no longer writable.
> It might be running in another process.
> Further execution is probably impossible.
> 0xb7b0c2ab in ?? () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
> (gdb)
>

> On 3/29/07, Nathan Beyer <ndbeyer@apache.org> wrote:
> > I am not seeing that. Can you run the "./java -version" successfully?
> >
> > I tried running "gdb ./java" and it loaded me into GDB just fine.
> >
> > -Nathan
> >
> > On 3/29/07, Rana Dasgupta <rdasgupt@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > The jvmti tests are among the first to run. Is it a problem with jvmti
> > > failures or is drlvm currently broken on linux? I seem to get a
> segmentation
> > > violation running just the drlvm java executable on both 32 and 64 bit
> RHEL
> > > Linux.
> > >
> > > gdb java
> > >
> > > I think shows an invalid pointer in hymem_free_memory()
> > >
> > > Is anyone else seeing this?

> Ubuntu
> threads
> these