harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] Ignoring Sun command line options?
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2007 19:17:39 GMT

On Feb 15, 2007, at 10:55 AM, Alexey Varlamov wrote:

> 2007/2/15, Gregory Shimansky <gshimansky@gmail.com>:
>> Alexey Varlamov wrote:
>> > In my understanding, we face 2 issues here:
>> > 1) Support "-XX:" format for internal options; this is
>> straightforward
>> > and I'll fix this shortly.
>> > This way such options will not be refused but silently ignored.
>>
>> Ignoring them silently I think it not the right thing to do. Why
>> not add
>> a warning like JRockit does, so that application developers would pay
>> more attention to the options that they pass to the VM?
>
> Yes, this should be resolved with the 2nd part; AFAIU this is the only
> way to do it consistently.
> Don't you suggest to hardcode all options we aware of at the moment
> and warn on uknown? IMO this would be unmaintanable, e.g. jitrino has
> tons of options and they are added/changed quite often.

I suspect the solution will require some refactoring, but you could
iteratively feed each option to each component as they are
initialized, and the component simply reports 1/0 if it cares or
not.  Then, for any option for which the core VM didn't care, and the
compomenets didn't care, we report a "unknown option" message.

geir