harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Harmony enabling at Windows / x86_64
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2007 12:23:33 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> On Feb 19, 2007, at 3:49 PM, Gregory Shimansky wrote:
>> Alexei Zakharov wrote:
>>> Hi Ivan,
>>> Thank you for doing this first of all. IMO patches look good in
>>> general. However, I'd like to emphasize two things (I've already told
>>> you in private about them) and let others to comment on it.
>>> 1. In your patch you suggest to use MSVC 2005 - msvcr80.dll is used
>>> instead of msvcr71.dll for example. Currently MSVC 2003 is required
>>> for building the classlib. However, MSVC 2005 adds extensive support
>>> for developing of 64bit applications and it looks like a natural
>>> choice for 64bit Windows platform. So am +1 for supporting both MSVCs.
>>> But I also would like to know if there are any other opinions.
>> I think it would be good if we had a choice of microsoft tools
>> version. If we can support MSVC 2005 on x86_64, why not allow to use
>> it on x86 too? The only freely available development environment from
>> MS site is MSVC 2005 Community Edition. So if we support it, it will
>> help development for x86 version of windows.
> Well... does it work?  besides the rt dll issue, what else is there?
> Is nmake backwards compatible?  I thought one problem was that 2005 was
> missing something that 2003 had...

I am not aware of anything missing in 2005. There are two problems with
it. It introduced new "secure" versions of functions like strcmp and
deprecated the standard C API. Including standard headers produces many
warnings that the functions are now deprecated. But it can be worked
around by adding two defines to the compiler command line to make
headers backwards compatible.

Another problem is some new manifests stuff which I don't know very
well. Apparently now when linker produces a dll or exe file it also
creates a manifest which should be either present in the same directory,
or be embedded inside of the executable or dll.

Both of the above problems are probably solved in the patches by Ivan,
so these solutions may be applied to the x86 version as well to allow
people to use MSVC 2005 on plain 32-bit windows.

View raw message