harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][launcher] Signal handler disabling
Date Fri, 09 Feb 2007 12:25:10 GMT
Mark Hindess wrote:
> I think we should go for the record of resurrecting a thread the most
> times ;-)
>
> The current solution still compiles the hysig code.  However, I've
> got a patch (windows and Linux but only tested on Linux) that adds a
> flag to give the option to avoid the compilation of the hysig library
> completely.  The default is to compile it but I'd actually like to
> reverse that after some wider testing.
>
> Does this seem reasonable?
>
> I want to use this option because it means I can avoid porting the
> signalling code to new architectures and platforms until we decide if we
> are going to keep it.  At the moment, I think we probably should get rid
> of it and let the VM handle signals.
>
> Gregory, why did you want it to be optional?  Do you use this option?

The reason is quite simple. When VM crashes it is much easier to debug
it right at the spot of the crash. On Windows it is done with Just In
Time debugging facility, on Linux core dump is useful. DRLVM with can
and does detect the condition when crash happens inside of VM and when
it is ran with -XDassert_dialog=true (default) does not try to do
anything intelligent like printing stack. This allows debugging at the
spot of the crash.

When launcher installs its own handler it catches the crash. Even though
it can print registers and maybe some stack symbols, it is not as good
as using full fledged debugger to analyze the problem.