harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VM]How to trigue GC while free native memory is low.
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2007 13:36:27 GMT
Leo Li wrote:
> Hi, Xiao-Feng:
>     Excuse me if I am confusing you.
>     The direct byte buffer holds a block of native memory space used in nio
> operation. The native byte buffer will be freed through the byte buffer is
> gc collected and added to ReferenceQueue monitored by MemorySpy series
> classes.
>     But the gc will not be triggered if the java heap is still empty. Here
> is an example: I allocate a large block of native memory for a byte buffer
> while the byte buffer itself is quite small. Thus quickly native heap is
> depleted while VM still does not think gc is needed since java heap has a
> lot of free memory.
>

> import java.nio.*;
> public class Test {
>    public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception {
>        for(int i = 0;i<1000;i++)
>        {
>            ByteBuffer byteBuffer = ByteBuffer.allocateDirect(10240000);
>            //System.gc();
>        }
>   }
> }
> RI runs well but Harmony will soon throw OutOfMemory exception.
> But if remove the comment before System.gc(), Harmony will become ok.
> So my point is that we need a mechanism to notify VM to start gc if we have
> no more native memory because sometimes problem will be solved if gc is
> fired. Of cause we cannot avoid a  user always malloc space but never free
> them.:)

ByteBuffer is not the only one class which has associated native
resources that are freed when Java object is collected. And it is not
the only class which may run out of such native resources before garbage
collection is needed for Java heap. You can see a similar problem
described in HARMONY-1831 where GZIPOutputStream allocates associated
native memory in ZLIB which ends up before GC collects unused objects.

Other types of native resources could be handles and other OS specific
stuff. I am not sure, but it is probably easier for a particular type of
Java API class to realize that there are no more specific native
resources (like when ZLIB returns Z_MEM_ERROR in HARMONY-1831) left for
it and trigger GC unconditionally, then retry allocating resource again.

--
Gregory