harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Li" <liyilei1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VM]How to trigue GC while free native memory is low.
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2007 10:01:12 GMT
Hi, Xiao-Feng:
     Excuse me if I am confusing you.
     The direct byte buffer holds a block of native memory space used in nio
operation. The native byte buffer will be freed through the byte buffer is
gc collected and added to ReferenceQueue monitored by MemorySpy series
classes.
     But the gc will not be triggered if the java heap is still empty. Here
is an example: I allocate a large block of native memory for a byte buffer
while the byte buffer itself is quite small. Thus quickly native heap is
depleted while VM still does not think gc is needed since java heap has a
lot of free memory.

import java.nio.*;
public class Test {
        for(int i = 0;i<1000;i++)
        {
            ByteBuffer byteBuffer = ByteBuffer.allocateDirect(10240000);
            //System.gc();
        }
   }
}
RI runs well but Harmony will soon throw OutOfMemory exception.
But if remove the comment before System.gc(), Harmony will become ok.
So my point is that we need a mechanism to notify VM to start gc if we have
no more native memory because sometimes problem will be solved if gc is
fired. Of cause we cannot avoid a  user always malloc space but never free
them.:)

Good luck!