harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Xiao-Feng Li" <xiaofeng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DRLVM][GC] low pause garbage collection for Harmony
Date Fri, 16 Feb 2007 02:24:59 GMT
On 2/15/07, Ivan Volosyuk <ivan.volosyuk@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Some researchers seperate "on-the-fly" GC from concurrent GC as a
> > special case [3]. The difference as stated is "on-the-fly" GC doesn't
> > require any synchronization point where all mutators are suspended,
> > i.e., it suspends and resumes mutators one after another, not at the
> > same time. There is also "real-time" GC proposed that can satisfy
> > required real-time bounds. Metronome is one example [4].
>
> > [3] http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/~erez/Papers/ms-sliding-views.ps
>
> I have taken a look at the ms-sliding-views.ps paper. The on-the-fly
> GC looks quite promising. One thing that bothers me is it is of 'mark
> and sweep' type. It require different allocator algorithm to keep
> fragmentation low, it means for me (correct me) that the allocation
> rate would be rather slow and it will have suboptimal data locality. I
> understand that we won't have such low pauses if we would like to move
> data on a GC without read barriers. One thing which really excite me
> that it doesn't require stop-the-world at all, each thread is stopped
> independently, that means that it's really scalable by the number of
> running threads.

Ivan, thanks. I have basically the same understanding of the
on-the-fly mark-sweep algortihm as you. It may need compaction
algorithm to reduce the accumulated fragmentation effect. Compressor
can compact the heap with rather low pause-time by leveraging the OS
mem-protect mechanism and tripple-mapping the virtual space.

Thanks,
xiaofeng