harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Xiao-Feng Li" <xiaofeng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VM]How to trigue GC while free native memory is low.
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2007 10:44:19 GMT
Thank you, Jimmy and Leo, for the clear explanations.

I think temporarily you can put the System.gc() there to workaround
this issue. Yes, this is only a workaround since we cannot rely on it
without explicit guarantee in its semantics.

To really solve this problem, we might need a careful design. Your
proposed approach looks like a possible solution. Have you thought to
solve the problem by using GC to manage the raw memory blocks? Without
deep understanding of the problem, I have some wild idea below. Please
see if it is reasonable or stupid. I will read the spec of ByteBuffer
to get more understanding.

Since what the ByeBuffer needs are starting address and capacity, it
doesn't really care if this piece of memory is in Java heap or in
native runtime memory ( I assume.) We probably can provide some
special kind of virtual Java object that serves as raw memory block to
nio. In this works, we need not monitor the native runtime memory
usage.

This approach need certain contract between Java classes and GC about
the special kind of Java object. Probably we can write a layer of Java
class wrapper for raw memory allocation, which hides the contract from
other common classes.

At the same time, I am thinking of your proposed approach, and will
get back later.

Thanks,
xiaofeng