harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [general] snapshots and a developers build
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2007 15:32:53 GMT

On Feb 6, 2007, at 10:27 AM, Stepan Mishura wrote:

> On 2/6/07, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>
>> This has been on my mind for the last couple of days, and an note
>> from Stepan reminded me to get this convo started.
>>
>> I'd like to start doing daily snapshots of Harmony from whatever
>> platforms we happen to be building on.  These would be created every
>> day.  They wouldn't require community review - we'd just get them up
>> there, broken or not, and fix what needs to be fixed for the next
>> day.
>

> I'm not sure about daily. I think we should work out mechanism and
> start
> publishing them regularly (for example, weekly or in 2 weeks)
> first. Then we
> can reduce snapshot period if there such need. Also I don't see any
> value in
> a broken snapshot.

They are snapshots.  We used to call them the "nightly build" in
other projects.   The only point is to make it easy for people to use
"the bleeding edge" w/o having to build.

The thing we do every 2 weeks or so that is known good could be the
"developer release".

There is zero value in a broken snapshot (hence, please ensure that
SVN isn't broken :).  But these are just an automated build, not
something touched and judged by us humans.