harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Rana Dasgupta" <rdasg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VM]How to trigue GC while free native memory is low.
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2007 23:52:12 GMT
I don't know much about DirectByteBuffer implementation, but it would be
nice to keep the memory management of managed and unmanaged heaps seperate
from each other since they are independent resources. Housekeeping the
active java proxy reference and freeing up native memory proactively/lazily
when there are none would be great, but both would need some kind of
refcounting on these instances independent of gc. Some jit support would be
needed to update the refcount when these proxies( instances of this class
) are getting copied around, like a write barrier call.

Depending on hooks to monitor the unmanaged heap has gaps. There could be
other running processes on the machine with unpredictable resource requests.
It may be easier to empirically call System.GC() periodically based on
an estimation of unmanaged heap allocation and tune it to be realistic.

Thanks,
Rana