harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] The Return of the Hidden Classloader, Part II
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2007 12:00:09 GMT
Yang Paulex wrote:

>> This is an oldie but goodie..
>>
>> We never solved the problem of how to hide non java*. packages that
>> are on the boot classpath from apps.  We talked about a few
>> possibilities :
>>
>> 1) repackage them to a different package namespace
>>
>> 2) have a "hidden" classloader that only the system classloader can use.
>>
>> I like #2.  Has anyone looked into this or made any progress?  Do
>> people think this is as important as I do?
>

> +1, the hidden classloader so far seems a better way to go, but for long
> term, I wish the JSR 277[1] or JSR 291[2] can be considered to address this
> kind of issue in general.
>
> [1] http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=277
> [2] http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=291

True, but in the meantime it sounds like we need a tactical solution to
the problems that Robin and Geir and others have been having.

Rather than a hidden class loader we can filter the app classloader's
delegation to the bootclassloader so it only gets an opportunity to load
API types.  Let me have a quick play ...

Regards,
Tim