harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Kalpak Gadre <kalpak_ga...@omniscientweb.com>
Subject [general] memory usage and default Xmx
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2007 14:29:57 GMT
Hi,

When I tried running eclipse with harmony, I found out that the default
Xmx value is set to 256M
Is there any specific reason why this is set so high? Because it may
lead to impression of hdk
being a memory hogger. I have 512M RAM and my eclipse started taking up
256M memory from
start. Which made me feel hdk was a memory hogger.

1. Can we not set it by default to some lower value (like sun sets it to
64M), and when you need
it to be high, you can always override the default Xmx.

2. I also experienced that whatever Xmx I set, eclipse would start with
heap size of Xmx. (utilising
the maximum alloted heap size)

3.  I specified -Xmx as 128M and the heap size showed 128M but process
memory usage exceeded 280M.

Thanks,

Kalpak