harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VM]How to trigue GC while free native memory is low.
Date Sat, 03 Feb 2007 22:06:32 GMT
Xiao-Feng Li wrote:
> Since what the ByeBuffer needs are starting address and capacity, it
> doesn't really care if this piece of memory is in Java heap or in
> native runtime memory ( I assume.) We probably can provide some
> special kind of virtual Java object that serves as raw memory block to
> nio. In this works, we need not monitor the native runtime memory
> usage.
>
> This approach need certain contract between Java classes and GC about
> the special kind of Java object. Probably we can write a layer of Java
> class wrapper for raw memory allocation, which hides the contract from
> other common classes.

There is a requirement that the 'raw memory block' is pinned though,
because addresses in that block may be passed into OS calls (and the
point of a direct byte buffer is that the memory is not copied). I don't
believe that is going to be a reasonable requirement for all VM
implementations.

Regards,
Tim