harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [vmi] thread library
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2007 12:21:26 GMT
Salikh Zakirov wrote:
> The attached patch series explore the idea of making portlib mostly independent
> of threading library. It changes portlib to use OS services (via thrdsup.h
> macro wrappers). I have only tried it on Windows, and would like to have some
> feedback before expending more effort on Linux version.

[I'm allergic to mailing list attachments ... would much prefer a link
to a combined patch in JIRA than have you fill-up hundred's of people's

We already said that going straight to the OS wasn't a great idea
though.  If the VM is going to provide monitoring and management of
thread and locks then it needs to see the function calls go by.

> With these patches applied, the only threading functions called from portlib
> are hythread_attach() and hythread_detach().

While I agree that those are the only ones that the VM is forced to care
about, we need a solution that allows the VM to care about them all.

<more stuff snipped, since it depends on agreeing this fundamental approach>

View raw message